Thursday, January 7, 2010

When washing soft baby toys in the washer, should I be using a detergent like ';dreft'; or just use hot water?

My concern is that since our daughter is constantly sucking on her soft toys, I don't want to introduce any soap into her system. So, if we do use soap, will it wash out in the rinse cycle even though the toy is very pretty thick with material (i.e. a fuzzy bear, etc.)?When washing soft baby toys in the washer, should I be using a detergent like ';dreft'; or just use hot water?
We put our soft baby toys and stuffed animals in a pillow case and tied it off and put that in the washer using regular detergent.





Dreft detergent is special because it does not ruin the flame resistance that is in baby pajammas. But it is still detergent.





I never tried just washing in hot water.When washing soft baby toys in the washer, should I be using a detergent like ';dreft'; or just use hot water?
i personally would advise against detergent, unless they sell baby friendly ones. im not sure.


you could use BiCarb soda. its pretty much a 100% germ killer. I use it in place of detergent in our house. so far the colour doesent leave the clothes.
try hot water and a little vinegar. it won't harm your child and it will kill any bacteria.
your regular detergent is suffice make sure your washer is on extra rinse you should be good.
Personally, I wash my daughter's toys with a little bit of baby detergent. I use maybe half of what I would for a load of her clothes, and it seems to work just fine.





Also, they reccomend that to get stuff like dust off, to put a stuffed animal in a freezer bag in the freezer overnight. It helps the dust fall off. I haven't done this yet, but if I notice my daughter starting to sneeze a bunch, I'll give it a try.
I doubt if it will all wash out without detergent. But remember, introducing small amount of bacteria etc to your baby is healthy. It will allow them to be stronger fighters down the road.
I would use dreft and hot water, but instead of rinsing once on a normal wash cycle, rinse about 3 times, I do when washing towels with bleach because I have kittys and don't want them to get bleached, so I put thru the rinse 3 times.
Dreft is good, it is less harsh. My son had allergic reactions to anything but Dreft. Just us 1/2 the amount for toys and such.
Hot water will not sanitize it unless it's boiling hot water.
Clorox makes a spray for cleaning toys. You can find it at any grocery store. But to make sure you are getting the right thing, you should go to Babies R' Us. I know they have it as well. Hot water alone will clean the toys but it won't sanitize them. This clorox product will get the yucky germs off of all the toys. It also works good on the highchair, swing, etc. Just about anything your baby touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment