Sunday, December 20, 2009

Front loading compared to top-loading washer/dryer. What do you think?

For those who have always had top loading washers and now have a front loading washer...do you regret purchasing it....do you wish you had your top loading washer back? Do you think the front loading is great? What are your opinions? If you have front loading what brand do you have and do you like it?











Front loading compared to top-loading washer/dryer. What do you think?
We bought a front-loading Kenmore washer in 2003 and it has been a delight. I would never go back to a top loader. In fact, we are living abroad for a year where we have a top-loader, and I really don't like it. Here are the things I don't like about the top loader, which is like all other top loaders I've seen:


- It's far noisier


- It uses a ton more water


- It uses a ton more detergent


- The clothes don't come as clean


- The spin cycle makes a huge racket and half the time it sounds like the spin cycle is going to wreck the bearings.


- The clothes come out feeling wet because the spin cycle on top-loaders is so much slower than on front-loaders, so it costs us twice as much to dry it.


- You don't have the pleasure of watching the clothes and soapy water tumbling around. You can stick a two year old in front of a front-loader for a good 15 minutes before they get bored. Probably better for them than TV too!





When I went shopping for my front-loader, I noticed that many different brands had models that looked almost identical, just a few different buttons or different cycles on the dials. It turns out that the front loaders sold by many of the major North American brands are all made by the same company in China, and each brand just orders a set of washers with different combinations of features - trying to avoid particular combinations that any other brands might have chosen. That way you can't make an apples-to-apples comparison of the features that matter to you, and there are all these funky sounding features you don't really need, which makes your job of selecting the right washer harder, and makes the salesperson's job of conning you that much easier. The key is to go into the store already knowing what features you want, and ignore other features you don't need. The key features I would recommend are:


- Hot, warm and cold wash (warm rinse is of no value in my opinion)


- Two spin cycle speeds


- Delicate, normal, and permapress cycle


- Delayed start (to take advantage of cheaper, or at least more environmentally benign, night-time electricity)





I don't think there's anything else that really matters enough to enter into the decision.Front loading compared to top-loading washer/dryer. What do you think?
Front loaders suck. I clean for an NBA player and he just put 4 sets of them in his house and I hate them. Some of the clothes come out in balls. A contractor said it's because they don't have the agitator on them like the top loaders do so they don't shake the clothes and well. I personally do not care for them!!!!!!!!!! Whirlpool Duet
recently switched to a whirlpool brand front loader, I absolutely love it, My clothes come out much much cleaner, The only draw back is keeping it clean, If it is neglected it can start to develop an odor. BUt it saves energy i use hardly any soap and my clothes come out noticeably cleaner
personally i like top loader style. the front loaders usually keep the cloathing above water as where the top ones have the little twister that pulls clothing to the bottom in a cycle.
I wish I had a front loading washer. In my opinion it gets the clothes cleaner. I hate my top loading washer...but it was what we could afford
  • wrinkles cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment