Thursday, December 24, 2009

Should I take my washer/dryer to Bamberg, Germany?

My husband's getting stationed in Bamberg in January, and I need to know whether I should take my washer and dryer. I've heard that they won't work because the voltage is different, that the Army will loan you replacements while you are there, and that you need to take your own. Obviously, these can't all be true. We'll be living on post (where I've _heard_ there's dual voltage) and it would be great to hear from someone who really knows the answer.Should I take my washer/dryer to Bamberg, Germany?
You are authorized to take your washer and dryer. You can take any of your household goods.





That being said, NO I would not take my washer and dryer (and we didnt). On post housing (most likely stairwell housing) has washer and dryers for everyone to use. Some places will have a common area with several washers and dryers for the whole building to use and some will have them in your apartment. Not all housing on each base had dual voltage. Depends on what housing area you get and live in.





I would also not bring any of your small applainices like blenders, mixers, toaster, microwave, etc.,. These little guys have to be plug into the big transformer which can cost about $150-$200 (yes that much). It is cheaper to buy the german brands at IKEA or Walmart or another local German Store.





Advice: Get out and travel. Don't stay on base and complain about being in Germany. You will hate it there if you do. We loved it there, went to 15 other countries while we were there, some severals times. Take advantage of being there. A good book to buy is ';Never A Dull Moment'; http://www.awag.us/book.htm This book list almost every village in German and what to do there, how much it is, directions, what they take for payment, hours open, etc.,. Very useful while we were there.





Use the train system. The Bahnhof is an excellent way to travel. Also check out Ryan Air, great way to fly and cheap. http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/





Good luck and have fun.Should I take my washer/dryer to Bamberg, Germany?
No you cannot take your washer and dryer with you. All military housing comes with washer and dryer that you have to share with other families within your building. I know in my building there was a washer and dryer for each apartment (6) total. I can tell you that in Bamberg there is not a whole lot there. We lived in Schweinfurt which is your neighboring city. Other than that travel as much as you can...Germany is beautiful and exciting place to visit. So much history!!!
You are not authorized to take them with you. FMO (furniture management) will have them for you to borrow if you live off post, and there will be W/D in the apts. if you live on post.





Now... DO take your lamps! All you need is an adapter plug from the PX and a 220 lightbulb and you're good to good! (That's another horrible rumor.. can't take your lamps! )








Edit: never heard of ANYONE being authorized W/D shipment to Europe. PCS to Germany - 1997, PCS to UK - 2006. Both times it was on the not allowed list!
Nope. Voltage is 220V and the plugs are different. You will not be able to find a transformer for something that takes this much electricity. Plus European washers are so much better, I hate the - cold, warm, hot setting on American's , Euro ones have all kinds of settings from temperature to kind of clothes, I feel my clothes is cleaner there. Dryers are not that common. They are not uncommon but a lot of people do not have them. They are also all electrical, not gas ones ever.





Now, if the post have dual voltage it is something to consider. Can you contact them and ask about the voltage there?





BTW, Bamberg has one of the most beautiful cathedrals out there!
Don't do it.





What you should do is get some big, heavy-duty transformers for any electronics/appliances you love and/or don't want to re-buy on this side. Get these transformers in the States as they are a fraction of the price and, if you get a big enough one (e.g. 2000-5000 watt) you can plug in a power strip and run just about all your goods. I got five and my whole flat is running 110v!
I did not take my set when we lived in Wuerzburg Germany. And I chose not to live on the post. We had plenty transformers to plug in our american equipment and they worked fine. We went on post to wash our clothes or used the german equivalent to our laundry centers. So if you choose to take yours, make sure you have a transformer.
  • wrinkles cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment